Less Than 1,000 Attend First Rally

Less than a thousand undergraduates turned out for the first football rally of the season last night and, after one half hour of forced enthusiasm, the sparse crowd returned to its environs.

The rally started at the statue in the Yard and, after building up an unimpressive freshman following of 90, it moved down the traditional line of march.

It was from the Houses that the largest group came, mostly seniors who could remember one season wherein the Crimson broke even, 1948. They tried to build up their enthusiasm as a result of last Saturday's victory, but only two firecrackers were exploded near the crowd in front of the Blockhouse.

Football captain Carroll Lowenstein was the first speaker of the evening, making his initial public speaking appearance as head of the team. Lowenstein promised that "They'll get more than they expected tomorrow," and asked the student body to get behind the team.

Bolles "Infects" Crowd

Tom Bolles, new athletic director, was the second speaker. Bolles told the crowd that spirit was "contagious," and he asked each member of the audience to "infect" his neighbor.

The cheerleaders announced a new cheer "which hadn't been used in several years," a locomotive. They went through it twice.

And then amid intermixed cries of "Wintergreen" and "Sock it to 'em," the crowd broke up.