Pitt Affirms Jordan Under Consideration

Hamilton Says Coach Is Among Alumni Considered for Post, Says He Is 'Greatly Admired'

Football Coach Lloyd Jordan has been among those Pittsburgh alumni considered to fill the vacant coaching berth there, Pitt Athletic Director Tom Hamilton told the CRIMSON yesterday.

"Among other possibilities, we have been discussing Pittsburgh alumni who have remained in athletics," said Hamilton, who was contacted upon his return from an N.C.A.A. television committee meeting in Cincinnati. "Jordan is greatly admired here and was among those discussed."

Meanwhile last night, Jordan attacked the recent recommendations of the special committee of college presidents in as address to the American Football Coaches Association of which he is retiring president. The speech, which was carried over A.B.C., hit specifically at the committee's stand on de-emphasis and its proposal to abandon athletic Scholarships, spring practice, and bowl games.

As for Jordan and the Pitt job, Hamilton, when asked if he had contacted the Harvard coach, said hesitantly, "Well. I've seen him around the hotel (at the N.C.A.A. conference) and said hello to him." (Jordan said yesterday that he had neither seen nor spoken to Hamilton in Cincinnati.)

In his talk criticizing the presidents' proposals, Jordan said, "I myself question some of their proposals. I see no point, for instance, in abolishing spring practice periods for various sports. This certainly is not the core of the problem."

Jordan said colleges could eliminate the abuses by honestly-enforced entrance requirements, curricula for all students that will bring a "respectable diploma," and financial aid to athletes administered through the colleges.