College, Graduate Tuitions Will Stay at Present Rate

Second Year into the Red

College tuition rates will not follow the skyward pattern of the rest of the Ivy League, according to current plans, Provost Buck said last night.

Tuition charges will also remain the same at all graduate schools so far as is known now.

The decision to hold the line on academic fees does not involve any compromise in the ealibre of instruction, the Provost added. In order to keep the $600 per year rate, the Faculty of Arts and Sciences will go into the red for the second year in a row.

These plans are made according to budget estimates based on "normal enrollment." A sudden surge in the activity of draft boards could cause a reversal of the announced policy.

With this announcement, Harvard remains, for the second time in five years, the college with the lowest rate of the Big Three. Yale raised its charges $185 last month, bringing them to $1600, and Princeton last week announced a $150 tuition hike as well as a ten percent reduction in the number of scholarships starting with the Class of 1956. Harvard's financial aid program will remain unchanged next year.

The Columbia Spectator, the Lions' undergraduate daily, reported last week that a $150 tuition increase was planned at the New York college.

In 1947, when colleges were going through the first of a series of charge boosts, Harvard held onto its $400 per year tuition rate. The subsequent year tuition went up to $525 and in the 1949-1950 academic year to the present $600.