Initial Results Of GE Survey Support Plan

Council Committee Questions 674 Upperclassmen; to Give Finished Report Next Month

The great majority of the student polled in the Student Council survey or the worth of the General Education program said that they had gotten valuable perspective from these courses reported Robert H Cole '52, chairman of the Council committee, last night.

Immediately adding that his committee was still computing survey answers, Cole declared that replies to some of the 45 questions in the poll contradicted this favorable comment and that thorough correlation of answers was necessary to give a comprehensive interpretation.

G.E. Grades High

An interesting initial finding showed that grades received in General Education courses tended to run somewhat higher than the rank list of the average students.

The extensive survey questionnaire was sent to one out of every five men in the classes of '52, 53, and '54 last October. Of the 674 initially queried, about 500 replied, and of these only 407 had taken General Education courses.

The Committee expects to submit its completed report to the Council in the first or second week of February.

Although this year's freshmen are the first to take part in the full three-required-course G.E. program, Cole indicated that they would not be questioned.

The members of the Class of '55 were termed too inexperienced in College life to have the wide view of the effects of the General Education program in the College as a whole the Council is attempting to evaluate.