French Restates Pacifist Stand; Prefers Jail to Armed Services

Faced with the alternatives of going to jail or into the army, Edward A. French '54 maintained that his pacifist beliefs dictated his decision to stay out of the army at any cost, when he spoke before an open meeting at Sever last night.

The junior attempted to explain his stand to a gathering of over 40 people. He stated that his first principle is the love ethic, "If I seek only to love, who has power ever me? ... As I follow love, I am subject only to my nature as situations arise. Who had power over Socrates?"

He said that each kind act of a non-warring member of society is good. "My hands are dirty, but I hope they won't got much blacker."

Primarily, he felt that by going to jail he would prove a principle and achieve an active form of fighting the selective service, and the "evil in our thinking" that this system implies.

Cites Further Reasons

In addition to his first principle, French based his decision on three other points: the "discriminating" selective service system, opposition to the "great god expediency reigning supreme," and his standing for "independent thought, word, and deed."

French made frequent reference to Gandhi as the leader of passive resistance, which he believed the solution to many questions he was asked. He emphasized that he was not fully trained in all fields of pacifist thought, and maintained that part of the system must be taken on the belief itself, rather than logic.

In his references to Harvard, he said that he felt he best served humanity by attending here. "I love Harvard very much, because I believe in her power to stimulate me. I hope that my connections will not he severed."

French had difficulty in answering several questions from the floor. "If Russia marches tomorrow," he said, "the best thing is not to fight." However, he admitted, he would shoot a mauiao who was intent on harming other people.

The sustenance can include five full years of prison, or a $5000 five which he can work off at $8 a day. In addition to this, he faces withdrawal of his bishop's backing and disinheritance by his parcuts, who hold views conflicting with his