Goal in Overtime Gives Springfield 2-1 Victory Over Crimson Booters

By James M. Storey

A goal in the first 45 seconds of the second overtime period gave a scrappy Springfield soccer team its third straight victory, and the Crimson booters their third loss, 2 to 1, Saturday, on the Business School field.

For 93 minutes of play Harvard fought the heavily favored Maroons to a standstill, but just after the teams had switched ends for the final overtime, left inside Gay Amato booted in his second goal of the day to put Springfield ahead for good. After a scramble in front of the Crimson nets, he beat goalie Pete Briggs on a low corner shot. From then on, Harvard rushed the ball into play, but in the last desperate minutes no attack came near the Maroon goal.

Off Tayler's Hands

Springfield drew first blood, too, when Amato scored at 6:53 of the second period from 25 yards out. He lefted a long, hard kick from the right side into the left corner of the cage. Crimson goalie Roger Taylor backed up and jumped high to deflect it out, but the ball grazed off his hand high into the nets.

The Crimson evened the score at 16:23 of the same period when Jack Whiting, playing his first game at center forward, converted a loose ball from the left side of the Maroon goal.

Springfield was definitely the better team, with a defensive combination, led by halfback Charley Butt, and "heading" abilities which consistently broke up the Crimson passing attack. But Harvard's defense was solid, and the Crimson made up in aggressiveness what they lacked in skill, to send the game into overtime.