Hershey Sees No Draft Change if Republicans Win

A Republican victory in November probably would not affect the draft situation, Major General Lewis B. Hershey, Director of Selective Service, said last night.

Hershey said that although he could not make an official statement, he believes the rise and fall of draft quotas will depend on international fluctuations, regardless of the political turn of events.

Referring to a statement by Secretary of the Army Frank Pace which predicted armed service for ten million young men "in the foreseeable future," Hershey said, "I haven's the slightest idea to what Mr. Pace was referring. When I first saw the headlines I though it was a misprint." He added, however, that Pace did not qualify his remark timewise.

Hershey reiterated his belief in less student deferments for 1953, when many Korea veterans will be replaced. He said the draft and enlistment number has been constant around a million, although we might have to make some changes."

In a statement to the CRIMSON two weeks ago a high manpower official denied any drastic change would be effected in the student draft for next year.

At the time, Hershey had warned that students attending college in '53 would face stiffer deferment rules, because of a higher passing grade on the draft examination.