McNiff Vetoes Council Plan For Commuter Book Rights

Student Council plans to permit commuters to take books out of Lamont before 9 p.m. were vetoed Saturday by Philip J. McNiff, Librarian in charge of Lamont.

In a letter to Council President Richard E. Johnson '53, McNiff gave five arguments against the proposal, and summed up his stand by saying, "As a general policy it is not good to set apart one segment of the student body as the recipient of special privileges."

The Council had proposed last spring that commuters be allowed to withdraw books from 5:30 to 6 p.m. in a proportion of one to every five reserve books, excluding reading and exam periods. Johnson said last night he does not consider McNiff's letter a flat refusal, but plans to answer his arguments at tonight's Council meeting.

McNiff had originally promised the report for the beginning of the fall term. Because of the delay, Johnson and Dudley representative Joseph H. Soble '54 saw Dean Leighton last week, but neither would comment on the meeting.

McNiff's arguments were:

1) Dudley has only 10% compared to 17% of non-resident students.

2) Residents of Cambridge may live closer to the Library than students in Dunster House.

3) Consideration must be given to resident students who would like special privileges.

4) Aside from reading and exam periods, it is questionable whether the privileges should hold during hour exams.

5) Some books are used in more than one course.

Johnson said last night the Council will have an answer for each of the five points.