Radcliffe Freshman Leads Full Day--Six Dates

By George S. Abrams, Erik Amfitheatrof, and Joy Willmunen

One morning in 1878 President Eliot found a letter on his desk from one Arthur Gilman, a Cambridge historian. "Dear Sir," Mr. Gilman wrote, "I am engaged in perfecting a plan which shall afford women opportunites for carrying their studies forward further than it is possible for them, to do in this country . . ." Eliot agreed that Gilman had a worthy idea, and the Annex was soon to be in operation.

For a long, long time after the Massachusetts General Court approved a charter for Radcliffe College in 1894, Harvard remained generally cordial but indifferent to the Annex and its occupants. It is, however, impossible to remain aloof today.

Today the Radcliffe girl is everywhere, doing almost everything the College males do. Partially due to convenience, the Annex females find Harvard men wherever they go.

'Cliffe freshmen, according to reports, are traditionally "rushed." The CRIMSON, consequently, trained a roving camera on a member of the Radcliffe Class of '56, Jane Connell of Briggs Hall, to see just what type of life a freshman at the Annex leads in this modern age.