Soccer Team Ties MIT, 1-1; Wind, Snow Hamper Play

By David C. D. rogers

For the first time in his five years as coach, Bruce Munro's soccer team has failed to beat M.I.T. Amid scattered snow flurries the Engineers managed to eke out a 1 to 1 tie against the Crimson on Briggs Field yesterday.

The Yardling-M.I.T. freshman game on the Business School Field also ended in a draw--0 to 0.

Recovering from their Dartmouth slump the Crimson played a slow but good game, taking more shots than in any other match this fall. Tech packed the defense tightly--sometimes leaving only the center forward on the midstripe--and successfully managed to cramp the visitor's attack.

"I've never seen a team like M.I.T. so completely outplayed and still manage to get a tie game," Munro said after the game. He attributed the Crimson's difficulties partly to the stiff wind and partly to Tech's narrow field.

The Crimson won the toss, had the wind the first quarter, and kept the ball almost constantly in front of the Engineer goal. The second period, the visitors had the wind against them, but still held the upper hand and M.I.T.'s inexperienced goalie, Bruce Murray, continued to make lucky saves. The third quarter followed suit.

Tech center forward Jose Saragga broke the scoring ice at 3:55 of the final period. In perhaps the prettiest play of the game, the Engineers short-passed the ball down the right side of the field, sent a high cross to Saragga, who converted it with a left-footed kick.

Six minutes later, Crimson center Jack Whiting beat Murray to the ball and kicked a slow rolling shot into the nets.

Fisher Stars for Yardlings

Goalie Lindsay Fisher saved the day yesterday for the Yardlings, who were hampered by wind and poor teamwork. Fisher's best save came in the fourth quarter when he caught at close range a hard shot from Tech's tricky center forward Ike Foinquimo.