Students Question Harris, Braucher In Adams Forum

Two undergraduates cross-examined Seymour E. Harris '20, professor of Economics, and Robert Braucher, professor of Law, before a packed audience of 125 in an open forum on the election, in Adams House Lower Common Room last night.

Braucher talked for three minutes on Communism and corruption in Washington and then blasted the administration for improper use of the military budget, which he said was the campaign's major issue.

Picked Apart Speeches

He was later attacked by former Liberal Union member Hugh Swartzberg '53, who picked apart Eisenhower speeches and criticized three Republican House Committee men defended by Braucher.

Professor Seymour Harris, who was Adlai Stevenson's economics professor at Princeton, declared Eisenhower proved he can't select good men by the kind of speech writers he uses. He stated Eisenhower's figures are "often wrong by a decimal point" and considering dollar statistics we are "two and a half times better off than in 1933."

"Concealed Career"

"Post-war inflation is a result of business spending, not government spending," he said.

William Conselmo '54, treasurer of the HYRC, countered by describing Stevenson's "concealed career." Using names and statistics from an unpublished Chicago report he ripped the Governor for having "worked with" the Arvey machine in Illinois.

Tonight F. McGeorge Bundy, professor of Government, and Joseph C. Palamountain, assistant professor of Government, will debate the election issues at Briggs Hall, under the auspices of RSDA, RYRC, and RAACP. They will cover the topic of "captive" candidates.

At the same time several faculty members will lead a forum at the Dudley Commuter's Center on "Is it time for a change?"