Andover Defeats Powerful Yardling Eleven, 13 to 7

By David L. Halberstam

ANDOVER, Oct. 4--Andover's veteran football team capitalized on two third period fumbles by the Crimson freshman team to a gain a hard-fought 13 to 7 victory over the practice-starved Yardlings here today.

Playing after only five days of solid scrimmaging against a fast well-coached team that had already won one game, Bob Margarita's freshmen turned in a fine performance. It stumbled badly at the beginning, but from the second quarter on, showed much talent and depth.

Fumble on Two

In fact, midway through the third quarter, the Crimson led 7 to 0 and seemed to be on the way to Margarita's first Harvard win. But a fumbled pass from center on fourth down gave Andover first and goal to go on the Yardling two. Blue quarterback Randy Heimer bootlegged for the touchdown; Sherry Harvey's conversion tied the score.

Andover recovered a Crimson fumble on the subsequent kickoff at midfield. Heimer again bootlegged for the second score, sending the hosts ahead, 13 to 7.

Crimson Scores

The Crimson drove 64 yards for its only score early in the second quarter, with its backfield doing the work, and wingback Dexter Lewis particularly impressive.

Meanwhile, at South Byfield, the freshman B squad, fooled badly for the first half, held Governor Dummer scoreless in the second half, eventually losing, 15 to 6.