Varsity Soccer Team Bows To Williams in First Game

Williams' varsity soccer team, with six sophomores in the starting lineup, got the jump on Bruce Munro's Crimson booters last Saturday at Williamstown, and, after outcharging them the whole first half, managed to pull out a 2 to 1 victory. Meanwhile, at Marion, the freshman soccer team shut out Tabor Academy in the season's opener, 2 to 0.

It was not until the second half of the varsity game that Harvard showed any of the potentialities that it had exhibited in practice previously. Perhaps due to the long train trip taken the morning of the game, the Crimson never got going in the first two periods, and played inept and logy soccer against an aggressive opponent.

Williams scored twice in the first half, once when the forwards dribbled all the way up to within 20 feet of the goalmouth while the defense fell back. Crimson goalie Roger Taylor had no chance to save the shot. The other tally came when a scramble in front of the Harvard goal was converted into a quick score.

Third Period Rally

During the third period the Crimson looked like a different outfit. The ball was almost constantly in the Williams half of the field, and Harvard was beating Williams to the ball most of the time. Crimson sophomore halfback Alex Haegler counted the only score for the visitors when just after missing a free kick he lefted the ball at the goal from 30 feet out. The ball hit the cross-bar and bounced straight down upon the ground, where the officials declared it a goal. During the rest of the game the Harvard attack pressed the Ephmen, but could never capitalize and score.

Truslow, Gelies Score for '56

Godfrey Truslow and Harry Gelles scored the only two goals for the Yard-lings as Poly Guyda's boys nipped practically the same team which the '55 Yardlings crushed 10 to 1 last fall.