COURAGE

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

In your editorial on Senator Nixon a few days ago, you took the liberty of calling him "an essentially honest man." You were taking a chance, and you have been proven wrong.

"Honest Dick" Nixon's own campaign manager, Murray Chotiner, admitted Thursday that the Senator used the Congressional franking privilege to evade the payment of postage on at least 23,000 purely political letters. Nixon polled Californiaus in early June, asking whom they considered the strongest candidate the Republicans could nominate.

In his great nation-wide breast-baring, "essentially honest" Senator Nixon uttered the following bald lie:

"I'm proud of the fact that the taxpayers, by subterfuge or otherwise, have never paid one dime for expenses which I thought were political and shouldn't be charged to the taxpayers."

Many people have praised Senator Nixon for the courage he displayed in his confessional. Perhaps they are right. It takes a lot of courage to tell the country a lie when there are 23,000 people who can prove you are lying. Andrew E. Norman '51, 2L