Leverett Beats Dudley; Puritans Tie Deacons

Leverett trounced Dudley, 12-0, while Winthrop held Kirkland to a scoreless tie in the season's opening House football games at Soldiers Field yesterday. In the day's only soccer contest, Eliot booters clashed through two overtime periods with Lowell for a 2-2 tie.

Today, Eliot faces Lowell and Dunster opposes Adams on the House fields at 3:00 p.m. Winthrop meets Kirkland in the season's second soccer game at 3:15 p.m. on Soldiers Field.

In yesterday's football, Leverett's quarterback Bucky O'Connor and halfback Sandy Batchelder stood out in the Bunnie's win. In the second quarter, O'Connor passed from Dudley's 37-yard line to right end Buzz Smyth for the first touchdown.

Batchelder, shown picking up six yards in the picture at the right, sparked the Hutch to a 45 yard touchdown drive at the beginning of the second half. Dudley showed only one sustained march, a 35 yard ground advance late in the last quarter.

Although Winthrop had two touchdown runs called back because of penalties, Kirkland showed superior ability to move the ball throughout the game. In the first half, four fumbles and three interceptions allowed the ball to change hands seven times without a full set of downs by either team.

The Lowell-Eliot game today will match two of the pre-season favorites to take the House championship from Leverett. The Elephants won the House championship two years ago.