Jeffs, Crimson Rated Even For Today's Soccer Contest

By James M. Storey

Despite last weekend's thorough drubbing at Hanover and Wednesday's disappointing tie with M.I.T., Bruce Munro is confident about his varsity soccer team's chances against Amherst this afternoon. The game will be played on the Business School Field at 1:30 p.m.

At Dartmouth the Crimson played as poorly as it has played all year, as the 6 to 0 score indicated. But in the practices during the last week the team has shown considerable improvement.

"Against Tech we were shooting all the time. The squad has really picked up since last week," Munro said. The narrow field and a high wind, coupled with some bad luck, kept the Crimson down to one goal against the Engineers. "If we play as well this weekend as we did then, it should be a very close game," he added.

Edge on Scores

The Lord Jeffs defeated the Crimson 2 to 0 in the rain last season at Amherst, but this year the team is not as strong. Dartmouth beat them 3 to 1; the University of Massachusetts and Wesleyan tied the Purple. Tufts lost, 4 to 2, and M.I.T., 5 to 2. On these comparative scores, Amherst holds only a slight edge over the Crimson.

Munro will start the same team as usual--if Berk Johnson can play. He suffered a pulled muscle in practice and may give way to Dana Getchell at left outside. The rest of the line will be Johnny Beer, Mauricio Toro, George Baker, and Win Knowlton.

Rusty McIntosh, Jim Callahan, and either Craig Zane or Alex Haegler will be the halfbacks, with captain Charlie Ufford and Bob Sobel in the usual fullback positions. Pete Briggs starts in the goal.

In the Dartmouth game, with three first stringers absent, the team looked shoddy, and the 5 to 0 score was one of the largest ever run up against a Munro team. After a minor comeback against M.I.T., the Crimson may do better today.