Little's Office Shepherds Hundreds of Dignitaries, Diplomats, Foreign Educators Through University

By Malcolm D. Rivkin

The small oriental gentleman was late for his appointment. More than that he was frightened. This maze of steam pipes and empty trunks hardly seemed a fit place to meet the Secretary of Harvard University--and now he couldn't find his way back to open air.

A few minutes later a repairman came to the rescue and led the gentleman, one of Japan's foremost educators, to his destination, 28 Massachusetts Hall. Murmuring that he had been "misguided," the professor was met by a secretary who handed him a list of appointments. A Crimson Key man was there to see that he didn't wander into any more basements during his brief visit to Harvard.

Tracing lost dignitaries is just one of the many headaches that plague the University's combination guide service, Baedeker bureau, and booking agency. Since the war visitors from some 72 foreign countries and heads of 84 educational institutions here and abroad have passed through David M. Little's office.

Secretary of the University Little and his aide Miss Alice Belcher are responsible for seeing to it that the hundreds of foreign emissaries who come to Harvard each year have a pleasant and uncomplicated stay. Our biggest job, says Little, is taking care of the people the State Department sends us under its "Higher Education Program."

Since the war the State Department has been scouting foreign educational institutions to find places where American experience can help make needed improvements. Educators from abroad are now flocking here on three to six month government sponsored tours of American colleges and universities. Harvard is a natural stopping-place.

As soon as the dignitaries reach the Square they are in the hands of Miss Belcher, who has a great asset in being able to speak seven languages fluently. She makes hotel reservations, provides for guides, and makes sure that the guests see the right professors.

In addition to the State Department, the Mutual Security Agency, the Carnegie Corporation, and several other foundations send people to Massachusetts Hall.

Lamont Floor Plan

Sometimes the office's work continues long after visitors have left. A few weeks ago Dr. Little got a request from Professor Robb, of New England University College in Australia for the ground plan of Lamont Library. Robbb was so impressed with Lamont that he wanted to duplicate it at his own school.

Most of the visitors come with some specific purpose in mind. Professor Mason of the University of Malaya had been using "General Education in a Free Society" as a text in his education courses. He came here to see how the system worked and intends to introduce it in Malaya.

Dr. Wilmar Dias is one of the many educators who study Harvard methods in preparation for founding new universities. Dias was here in August to bring back ideas for establishing a school in Santa Carina, Brazil.

Not every visitor has an easy time, however. A few weeks ago Miss Belcher had a near catastrophe on her hands. A French newspaperman had arrived expressly to see Louis M. Lyons, curator of the Nieman Foundation, about journalism problems that were plaguing his country. He had forgotten to inform Massachusetts Hall that he could not speak English, and since Lyons knows no French the conversation was somewhat disorganized. It was over an hour before Miss Belcher could find an interpreter, and by then both men had given up in despair.

Close contact with many undergraduate organizations like the Key Phillips Brooks House, and the CRIMSON enables Miss Belcher to provide the visitors with student guides. Thanks to Little's office most of the ambassadors, educators, and other guests are happy and impressed with their stay at the University. One of these is Dr. Hans Bobek of Vienna.

"I was really impressed by this very beautiful, world-renowned University," Bobek said. "I felt at home."