Ford Foundation Students Provide Controversial Experiment at Yale

Young Ford Students Excel in Class Work; Lag Behind in Extra-Curricular Activity

In September of 1951 entering Yale Freshmen were somewhat surprised to notice a sprinkling of youthful appearing students waiting in registration lines. In all, 54 freshmen, ranging from 15 to 16 1/2 years old, enrolled in the Yale class of 1955 under the Ford Foundation experimental program.

Soon first year men and upperclass Blues became used to seeing the Ford scholars in classes, occasionally at social functions, and even a few on the athletic fields.

From the outset, the Yale Administration was enthusiastic. Arthur Howe Jr., assistant dean of freshmen, was quick to express complete approval when the program was instituted. "The colleges," he said, "must take cognizance of the fact that the students faced with military service must have a new arrangement which will enable them to get college training. It is now time to face up to the problem."

Carefully Watched

The entire program was carefully watched and supervised to provide the greatest possible aid to the young students. They were placed in quadruple rooms with other Ford Scholars and took courses under the usual Yale procedure. They have been encouraged at all times to participate in extra-curricular activities.

After a year of operation, however, the experiment is a controversial subject at Yale. As originally conceived, the program was an attempt to enable exceptional students to undergo two years of military training while in their teens and still graduate from college in their early twenties. After the first two years of college the student would leave for two years of military training. Then, as an older and socially mature individual, he would return for his junior and senior years.

But the original premise of the experiment, that all students would be automatically drafted at 18 1/2, has not materialized. And Yale, Chicago, Columbia, and Wisconsin, the four colleges engaged in the program, are left with the project--for better or for worst.

In October of this year, the Yale Daily News commented, "The Ford Foundation's unfortunate experiment in college education for students of high school age... (is) ... a costly and misguided program, which, despite its many apologists has been throroughly unsuccessful at Yale.... The experience of last year's groups, now sophomores, proved that 15 and 16 year old students, no matter how well they do academically, cannot fully participate in the social life of the University."

The editorial drew sharp criticism from the Dean of Yale, William C. DeVane, in a letter to the News. "The assumption, not expressed explicitly by the writer, is that the experiment of Yale must be judged a failure because the young scholars are unready to enter successfully into the social and extra-curricular activities of their classmates... I must challenge the basis upon which the editorial writer bases his judgment.

"There is no mention, for example, of the scholastic attainments of the Ford Scholars. Shall we call successful the Freshman who heels the Banner, Record, WYBC, or the News or spends all his weekends at Smith, Vassar or Connecticut College, and deny that honor to the student who grows in learning and wisdom, and prepares himself quietly to be a competent man in his generation. The News may so judge, and so, alas, may general student opinion at Yale. But you must not ascribe such as opinion to me, nor, I believe, to the Faculty and Administration at Yale."

Even the students involved in the Foundation Program are divided as to its success. "The Ford student may lack the savoir faire of some of his classmates and his period of adjustment may be a few days longer," Charles Witz '55, commented, "but his progress is definite and in time he will outshine, if indeed he has not already done so, many of his classmates in thought and deed."

Two members of the program, however, who asked that their names not be used, expressed considerable doubt about the venture. "I don't think we've really been accepted here yet," said one, "and the girl situation is kind of hectic."

"There are times," said the other, "when I stop to wonder whether it wouldn't have been better to wait a couple of years and really enjoy college more. It's still pretty strained."

Above all the disagreement and furore over the Ford Scholars, one thing is clear. Opinions on just how successful the program has been depends very much on how high a value an individual places on social, athletic, and other extra-curricular activities. For the Foundation student, although shining considerably above the average member of his class scholastically, has lagged far behind in these other respects.

This year several Foundation students were accepted into fraternities, but a far smaller ratio than the percentage accepted from the sophomore class as a whole. In athletics, they have been unable to keep up with their more mature classmates in strenuous competitive sports, while their contributions to publications has been generally negligible. Said the News in a second editorial. "Social life, extra-curricular activities, and athletics are nearly as essential to a full Yale education as academic work, yet the majority of the Ford Scholars will be missing out on these three counts."

Actually, it is necessary to go a little deeper to find the real problem of the young students at New Haven. The Ford Scholars are unable to fit into Yale's social success pattern. To be "accepted" Elis must excel in something, anything. But they must be a key member on an athletic team, a publication, or a fraternity. If is here that the Ford Scholars fall down, and it is here where the entire program is jeopardized.

Clearly, however, the program has taught these interested something concrete it has shown that high school and college curricula contain so much waste and overlapping material that a good student can condense four years into two and still be academically successful.