Fraternities Give Some Yalies Social Outlet... ... Though Tightly Unit Groups Non - Existent

If elected, the new fraternity member must immediately shell out close to $200 or initiation fees and expenses. From them on, costs are pretty much up to the individual's own financial limits.

One of the great problems at Yale in the past has been a great vacuum existing in relations between the University and the fraternities. Over the years, the clubs have always fe4lt the College was closing in on them, putting on unnecessary restrictions, and attempting to shift as many fraternity functions as possible to the College. In some cases, this feeling has been justified but in many it was simply a matter of the University administration's being out of touch with the fraternities.

The Yale administration, realizing that it must work with the fraternities if student problems are to be solved, last week took first steps toward creating better relationships and understanding of problems. A special 18-man committee, composed of one graduate and one undergraduate member from each fraternity, was created Tuesday to advise and discuss difficulties with administration authorities. The committee began work immediately--and none too soon, for there is great need at present to find solutions to several serious problems facing the fraternities.

Financial Problem

The main problem now is a financial one. This year has for the first time an all-inclusive costs fee under which the student's board for the entire year in included. In precious years he could sign for 14 meals a week or 21. Of course, most fraternity men signed for 14 and ate in the fraternity men signed for 14 and ate in the fraternity seven or so times a week. Now Yalemen, like their Cambridge cousins, are paying for every meal, whether they eat it or not.

As a result, fewer men than ever are eating in fraternity dining halls, which have always been the main source of fraternity income. Add to this the present rising costs, and it is apparent that something must be done to improve the fraternity financial set-up--and soon.

National Affiliation

A second big problem is national affiliation. Strong alumni pressure has forced all but two of the Yale fraternities to maintain virtually worthless affiliation with the national chapters. Much of the needed cash is sent out in national dues--few fraternity members feel the money well-spent.

But the alumni, remembering their days in college when the national organizations were vital and pointing to the great tradition involved, have succeeded in blocking almost all attempts to disaffiliate.

A third problem stemming partially from national charters is that of discrimination. Several fraternities have restrictive clauses applying to Jews and Negroes; fortunately, however, the discriminatory clauses have been largely ignored.

The University has in the past let the fraternities run their own affairs without much interference. Most of the restrictions on the clubs do not stem from the University but from the fraternities' own governing body, the Interfraternity Council. As far as female guests ion the clubs are concerned, the University has maintained a hands-off policy. All restrictions have been set by the IFC. The rules are complicated but in general they allow women until 11 p.m. on week nights and one a.m. on weekends. Surprisingly, most fraternities follow these rules to the letter even though there is little chance of punishment if they are broken.

There is an old adage passed around to unwary sophomores each rushing period which says: "All the fraternities are about the same, and so don't worry about which one you get into." In an overall sense, this may be so; but if a careful enough look is taken, substantial differences can be found.

There is the difference in location; the bunching of six on "The Row," the spread of the other three, probably closer knit because of it. There are differences in physical plants, amount of dues, financial condition, and individual society rules.

Characeterisitcs Differ

And, of course, there are differences in general membership characteristics. For example, a fraternity like DKE is noted for its heavy proportion of athletes, Fence for being the most social, Zeta Psi for its literary tinge.

But no matter what their reputation, there is little doubt that each fraternity does fill a positive function--and that without them, there would be an appreciable gap in the social system at Yale.