Non-Residents May Get Own Library Facilities

Dudley non-residents, long embittered over lack of library facilities open to them, may eventually get a library of their own, Charles P. Whitlock, Allston Burr Senior Tutor, revealed yesterday.

Whitlock indicated that he had consulted with Keyes D. Metcalf, Director of the University Library, and Phillip J. McNiff, head of Lamont, concerning the possibilities of commuter library facilities and that "definite progress is being made."

"It appears now that the only solution to the Dudley library problem would be the purchase of a basic library available to commuters," Whitlock commented. "A lot of things will have to be ironed out, but we have hopes of obtaining a special collection of books for Dudley members' use."

The library would be stocked with widely-used text books rather than books on specialized subjects. "In this respect commuter needs differ from those of Houses. We feel basic course texts are most important," Whitlock said.

Since there is no really available space at Dudley or Apley for the library, there is a possibility that the books would be housed in Lamont. The commuters would have priority for their use under the suggested plan.

The Burr Tutor indicated that financial difficulties were the chief stumbling block to the program. "House libraries are paid for in part through room fees. Since Dudley has no access to such fees, we must turn some place else for the money," Whitlock said.

"It is understandable that Lamont cannot be expected to provide arrangement solely for one group of undergraduates out of their budgets. Perhaps the solution may be raising the Dudley membership fee," he continued.

Further conferences on the new libraries will be held in the next two weeks.