Cambridge Votes Today on Liquor, PR Referendums

Cambridge citizens will vote on four referendums today--three concerning prohibition and one calling for an elimination of proportional representation in Cambridge Plan E voting.

Local experts concede little chance of the prohibition referendums passing. Each is clearly worded to prohibit a specific type of liquor: whiskey of all sorts, beers and ales, and wines. Similar referendums have been voted down in 1948 and 1950.

Referendum Attacked

The proportional representation referendum stands a considerably better chance of passing, according to Cambridge Civic groups contacted yesterday. The League of Women Voters and the Cambridge Civic Association have bitterly attacked what they termed "the sneaky wording" of the referendum. Both strongly oppose it as "a referendum to destroy the Plan E Charter."

The referendum is worded as follows: "Shall an act passed by the General Court entitled 'An Act providing for the nomination of members of the city council and the school committee of Plan E cities by preliminary plurality voting,' be accepted?"