Politicos Labor at Polls All Day; Predict Victory for Own Favorite

By William M. Execher

College politicos will culminate weeks of hectic electioneering today when they attempt to get out the votes at local balloting stations all day, and spend a tension-packed night at numerous TV-beer parties.

A tenor of uncertainty marked the optimistic pre-election prophesies of all College political club executives last night, as they edged to the very limb of partisan prediction.

"I think we're going to win a narrow but convincing victory," said Stanley E. Tobin '53, president of the Young Democrats. Counting Massachusetts in the GOP ranks, "although I feel Stevenson will win here by 25,000 votes," Tobin predicted that Adlai would receive an electoral tally of 291. Dever and Kennedy will also win, he said.

McCarthyism Aids Adial

Tobin counted New York, California, and Illinois in the Democrat column; Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Michigan, Republican. "McCarthyism will probably lose Massachusetts, and win New York for Stevenson," he opened. He guessed that the South would stay "solid" with the exception of Virginia.

Predicting an Eisenhower victory of 290 electoral votes, Laval E. Rabillard '53, secretary of the Young Republicans, said, "We'll take a majority of the pivotal states." Of these he listed New York, California, Illinois, and Massachusetts as going Republican, by small margins in some cases.

Senate Seen Split

Speaking for the HYRC because the president and vice-president of the club were attending the Ike rally in Boston last night, Rabillard foresaw a 48-48 split in the Senate and a GOP house, "If Ike wins." "I'm not as confident of Herter's chances, as Lodge's" he stated.

Milton S. Gwirtzman '54, president of the Liberal Union, saw a Stevenson triumph with 28 million popular votes and over 290 electoral votes. He counted New York and Massachusetts in the Democrat column.

The H.L.U. equally split $15,000 of Civil Liberties Appeal funds between Henry F. schricher, William Boston and Tom Fairchild for their senatorial fights. Gwitrzman declared that the first two would surely win, and "God willing, Tom Fairchild will win too."

Radcliffe will not be inactive today as an estimated 50 Stevenson and 20 Eisenhower supporters will work getting out the vote by canvassing, baby sitting, and chauffering.

The HYRC will number about 50 workers in Cambridge, working with the Combined Civic Committee. The Young GOP-ers plan a party tonight at 9:30 at the Grand Ballroom of the Hotel Continental. About 400 girls have been invited for the affair from Emmanuel, Radcliffe, Simmons, Wellesley, and Wheelock colleges.

From 30 to 35 HYD members will handle diverse election day tasks in Cambridge. Tonight they will gather on the third floor of the Student Activities Center to keep in touch with election results.

The Harvard-Radcliffe Graduate Council will hold a punch party tonight from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. at Agassiz. Graduate students and their friends are invited for TV, dancing, and cards