Elephant Harriers Win as Eliot Retains Trophy Lead

Eliot is off to a flying start in its race to retain the Strauss Trophy. The Elephants walked off with the House cross-country meet yesterday to take 40 points towards the trophy. They are assured of at least second place in the football league, with first place a strong possibility.

Garnering five of the first 16 places, Eliot totalled a more 45, 39 less than second place Dunster with 79. Dudley ran a close third with 82.

Otto Triffterer one of the six German exchange students here this year on special University scholarships, led all the way and took first place for Winthrop House. Triffterer sprinted at the start and settled down to a steady pace to keep about 100 yards between himself and his nearest rival. With about half a mile to go, Warren Little of Eliot and Pete Coker of Adams turned on the steam and almost caught him. Little finished second, about five yards behind, and Coker trailed Little by about a yard.

The rest of the first ten were Arnie Howe of Kirkland, fourth; Ivan Nabakov of Lowell, fifth, Guide Peroira of Eliot, sixth; John Tilton of Dunster, seventh; Bob Swett of Eliot, eighth; Dick Hooke of Dudley, ninth; and Al Joyce of Adams, tenth.

Paul Grand, 13th, and George Blagdon, 16th, rounded out the scoring for Eliot.

The team scores--1. Eliot 45; 2. Dunster 79; 3. Dudley 32; 4. Kirkland 90; 5. Adams 105; 6. Lowell 196; Winthrop 2201/2; 8. Leverett 2241/2.

In House soccer Dudley failed to field a team and forfeited to Winthrop.