Pacifist Council Organizes, Lacks University Sponsor

First Pacifist Group Since War Includes Eighteen Members

David Drake '52, co-chairman of the unrecognized Harvard Peace Council, admitted last night that he has been unable to find a faculty sponsor for his group.

The Peace Council is the first pacifist group to appear at the University since the early days of World War II. Although the Council has met the first requirement of the rules for undergraduate activities by supplying the names of at least ten members. It will not be recognized by the University until it can find a faculty sponsor.

Drake reported that the group had asked both Pitirim Sorokin, professor of Sociology, and Henry J. Cadbury, Hollis Professor of Divinity, to serve as faculty advisors. Both professors declined to make any comment on the matter last night.

The group consists mainly of pacifists," Drake said, "but as a group it man it decided whether to commit itself to pacifism, or just support other projects conducive to peace." He did not disclose what these projects might be.

The pacifist philosophy places some emphasis on economic systems, he added, inasmuch as the different systems effect human brotherhood. He added that many pacifists believe in socialism, but did not enlarge on the political affiliations of the Harvard group.

William T. Vasquez '52 is the other chairman of the Council. Drake reported that his membership list totaled 18 names.