Cornell Beats Fighting Five, 71-50

Quintet Gains Early 19-12 Lead But Cornell Set Shots Split Zone Defenses Gremp Stars

The varsity basketball team played the first of two games in as many days, and lost to Cornell, 71 to 50, last night at the I.A.B. The Crimson travels to West Point to play Army today. Although it was in contention for all the first half, the home quintet gradually disintegrated in the last 20 minutes against the heavily-favored Big Red.

Bob Gremp led a new starting combination as the locals got an early 12 to a lead. Three quick set shots by Ed Condon the lead at the beginning second quarter to 19 to 10, but as the Crimson slowed down Cornell gradually caught up. Halftime score found the Big Red in front, 29 to 22.

After a brief spurt at the start of the last Harvard fell behind hopelessly as Ray Handlan and center John Werner ran rampant for the winners. Handlan, with his long set shots, was high scorer for with 18 points.

The play-of Gremp, Condon, and Ed Krinsky gave some hope to local fans, for they played well both offensively and defensively. Bill Dennis was high with 15 points. Grump second with 10. Ed Blodnick high scorer last week against Columbia, played only a few minutes.

The game was Harvard's eighth consecutive Eastern League loss, and was Cornell's victory as against one defeat Princeton.

Between of the varsity game, a group players gave a spirited demonstration of basketball as it was played 50 years ago.

The freshman will take on a more serious task at Andover this afternoon when they meet a strong Andover team.