Squashmen Play Amherst Today; Will Try for Undefeated Record

The Crimson squash team, pointing for the Yale match Saturday, takes on a weak Amherst squad at 3:45 p.m. this afternoon in Homonway Gym.

Although regulars Dave Watts and Muggy Mugaseth are both ill, the Crimson is favored to keep intact its undefeated record in Intercollegiate Squash League play. Charlie Ufford, number one man, who reached the quarter finals of the National Singles Tournament at New Haven last weekend, will be back in his usual slot.

Coach Jack Barnaby said Captain Jim Bacon will take Watts' usual position at number two, Wister Wood will play three, Alty Flagg, four, and Dave Symmes, number five. Charlie Elliott, Larry Brownell, Haddon Tomes and Mike Ward will take the other four spots in that order.

Barnaby admitted he's more worried about the possibility that Watts and Mugaseth may not recover by Saturday, than he is about today's match with the Lord Jeffs. The Amherst team, he said, was seriously weakened by graduation and is nowhere near as good as last year's squad.

"It was illness and tough luck more than anything else that spoiled our chances in the Nationals at New Haven last week," he went on, "and I hope we're not in the same boat against Yale this weekend."

The Crimson, with Ufford entered in the singles, Mugaseth out with the mumps, and Watts and Wood ill but playing, still managed to reach the semi-finals of the National tournament.