East, West View Of Life Merging, Lecturer Asserts

There is no longer a sharp cleavage between the ideals of east and west, Charles Morris, visiting lecturer in Social Relations, said yesterday.

Morris, who spoke at the Third National Conference for the U.S. National Commission for U.N.E.S.C.O. at Hunter College in New York last week, feels that there is concrete evidence that a merging of world outlooks is actually taking place.

He said that existing differences in the philosophical outlook of the major cultural systems are matters of differing emphasis, rather than examples of actual cleavages.

Basing his opinions on a study he is conducting comparing the various attitudes held by college graduates throughout the world. Morris noted that a survey of students in China, India, Japan and the United States, showed that there was no systematic difference in the choice of a preferred way of living.

Morris feels that both East and West are supporting the emergence of a "movement toward an integrated man," and expressed hope that the world outlook of the major cultural systems could be merged in a step towards peace.

The study in which he is engaged has taken several years, and is not yet near completion. Morris said He has been collecting data from many universities throughout the world, including 30 in this country, and has already published one book on his work.