Headquarters: I

Circling the Square

By Milton S. Gwirtzman

A couple of grubby rooms on the second floor of the Tremont building in downtown Boston are the the nerve center of the Eisenhower-for-President boom in Massachusetts. Working amid half-opened bundles of pamphlets marked MASSACHUSETTS--IKE--RUSH, the State Sponsoring Committee for Eisenhower is trying to translate the grass roots sentiment for Ike into convention votes.

Like a genial Big Brother, Ike grins down from almost every wall in the office. Pictures of Ike, in well-tailored civics, in a cap and gown, and in uniform, provide the only decorations in the rooms. One three by five foot picture shows his head alone, smiling at a misplaced water cooler, his molars half as big as a fist.

I was introduced to Harry Stimpson '37, head of the Ike Clubs of Massachusetts, which are being established in every county. "Excuse our tattered appearance," he said, "but we only recently moved in here, and we're expanding too fast to look neat."

Stimpson pointed to a map of Massachusetts, divided into election districts. "Right now, we're busy lining up delegates for the state primary on April 29th--two delegates in each district. Massachusetts is one of the three states in the country where the voters can clearly show their choice for the nomination. Of course, with our man it's a ticklish business." He explained that delegates could not appear on the primary ballot directly pledged to Eisenhower, since this would require the written consent of the candidate which Ike, as an Army officer, cannot give.

"So our job is to make sure everyone knows who the delegates are who favor Ike. And we also want as many write-in votes as possible. You don't even have to spell his name right--as long as you make it clear that he's your choice."

Ed Wagner, a Bostonian with a Brooklyn accent, who directs publicity for the Committee, burst into the room shouting, "Ozimanski for President."

"Eisenhower and Ozimanski--what a ticket," laughed Stimpson, and explained that Mrs. Ozimanski was a lady who had just volunteered to type letters for them the next afternoon.

"The popular response has been terrific," he said. "People keep calling to ask what they can do for Ike. All sorts of clubs have sprung up. We wish they would work through this office, but it's like trying to control a ratrace. We really can't object to all the excitement, though. In fact, the more the merrier--it's a good sign."