Finals for Boylston Contestants Scheduled Next Wednesday Night

Public performance of the speeches of the ten Boylston Public Speaking Contest finalists will be given at 8 p.m. next Wednesday in Paine Hall, Frederick C. Packard, Jr. '29, associate professor of Public Speaking, announced yesterday.

Speeches will each be of five to seven minutes duration. Judges are the staff of the Department of Public Speaking and Miss Lillian Hartigan, instructor of drama at Cambridge High and Latin School.

The ten finalists who have been selected were also announced. They were picked from 15 semi-finalists chosen earlier from 51 entrants.

Walter C. Carrington '52 will give "A Letter to the President," by Arthur B. Spingarn and Lilly P. Wright. Theodore L. Gershuny '54 will give selections from George Bernard Shaw's "The Apple Cart," James M. Harkless '52 will present "The Speech of Herod," from W. H. Auden's "The Massacre of the Innocepts." Burton G. Malkiel '53 will give Cassius' speech to Brutus from Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar."

Marvin E. Mazie '52 gives the "Apology of Socrates," from "Plato's Dialogues." Marvin S. Sadik '55 will give the speech of the Inquisitor from Shaw's "Saint Joan." Harry L. Senger '53 will give selections from Willard Motley's "Knock on Any Door." Stanley E. Tobin '53 will present the "Plumed Knight," by James G. Blaine. Pirie M. Tutchings '54 will give the "Independence Day Speech of the Chain Gang Boss," from Paul Green's "Hymn to the Rising Sun."

Prizes in the contest are two first prizes of $35 each and three second prizes of $25 each.