Progressives Still Lack Sponsor, Fear They May Have to Disband

James K. Bouzoukis '52, president of the Young Progressives, said last night his organization may be forced to disband officially because no faculty member has offered to sponsor it.

Kirtley F. Mather, professor of Geology, refused to sponsor the group or endorse its policies, Bousoukis said, unless "University officials," either President Conant or Provost Buck" request him to do so. However, according to Dean Watson, such a request is contrary to the University's policy.

Bouzoukis also said a member of his group had been refused by Henry J. Cadbury, Hollis Professor of Divinity, but Cadbury said last night he could not remember the incident. The Progressives have also contacted "several other instructors and professors," whose names Bousoukis would not reveal, but all have turned down the group's plea.

The Young Progressives have registered the names of ten members with the Dean's Office, as University organizational rules require. However, the group still needs two faculty sponsors.

As a result, Bouzoukis said, he fears that the University may forbid the Young Progressives the use of any of its buildings. The group has scheduled a speaker for Friday, and Bousoukis will seek to arrange a site with the University today.

"I'm also afraid we'll have to give up our charter, if we don't find a faculty sponsor soon," Bouzoukis added. "In that case we'd have to drop the name Harvard from our title, but we'd continue to have unofficial meetings, in students' rooms and at P.B.H."