Monro Says Aid Depends on Record; Training Programs Seek A.B.'s

Business school graduates don't have too much advantage over men who only finish college, the speakers at last night's conference on training programs in industry agreed. The business school graduate tends to be somewhat more mature and to have better general knowledge of business, but in the long run, the college graduate usually catches up with him, the panel agreed.

Many liberal arts students can't offer a prospective employer specialized skills, but they can offer him high mental aptitudes and skill in learning and tackling problems intelligently, stated Alexander Clark, assistant director of the Office of Student Placement. This is as important as an extra degree.

Other speakers on the program were Abram T. Collier 34, Wayne E. Keith, and Donald I. Lowry 41.

"Overall performance" counts for freshmen desiring renewal of scholarship awards this August, asserted John U. Monro '34, Director of the Financial Aid Center, last night in the Union. He emphasized that activities, grades, and jobs are included in the reckoning of the amount of financial aid.

Group IV ranking does not decrease a scholarship candidate's aid, provided that he has shown himself an active part of the Harvard community, Monro added. If a man is doing well enough academically and extracurricularly, he may be able to get enough financial aid to allow him free time for his activities without term time employment next year. Freshmen have the advantage of having their top four courses out of the four and a half that they take for credit, counted in their group listings.