Eight University Seniors Receive Fellowships for Study in Europe

Dean Bender yesterday announced the award of Harvard's annual fellowships for travel and study abroad to eight seniors. Given to men coming from California, Indiana, Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, and Texas, the awards for 1952-53 are:

To Louis Butler McCagg, of Cambridge and Winthrop House, the Lionel de Jersey Harvard Studentship. This award, founded in memory of a collateral descendant of John Harvard, provides for a year of study at Emmanuel College, Cambridge University, England.

McCagg is a Social Relations major and is captain and stroke of the varsity crew. Last year he was Secretary of the Student Council.

Four Frederick Sheldon Prize Fellowships for travel abroad were granted to:

Donald Laurence Morton Blackmer, of Andover and 3 Shady Hill Sq. A National Scholar. Blackmer won the Edwards Whitaker Prize Scholarship in his freshman year. Majoring in history and literature, he is also a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He was on the Student Council, and has played both freshman and varsity tennis.

John Leeman Lewis, Jr., of Houston and Dunster House. Lewis, a social relations major, played varsity football and is president of the Varsity Club. He has recently been elected to Phi Beta Kappa, and to a Marshal of his class.

Richard Sheldon Palais, of Brookline and Kirkland House. Majoring in mathematics, last year Palais was one of eight juniors elected to Phi Beta Kappa.

David Kenneth Specter, of Brooklyn and Dunster House. Studying to be an architect, Specter is a member of the Band and the Outing Club, and was art editor of the 1951 Year Book.

The Frank Knox Memorial Fellowship, for study in any university in the British Commonwealth, was granted to Charles Edward Nelson, of Marion, Indiana, and Kirkland House.

A National Scholar and a history major, Nelson is also president of the Crimson Key Society, Chairman of Kirkland's house committee, and on the Debate Council.

John Howard Mansfield, of San Francisco and Lowell House, has been awarded the Henry Russell Shaw Fellowship for travel abroad. A Student Assistant at the Salzburg Seminar last year, Mansfield is also in the Glee Club, and has been Chairman of the United Nations Council for two years. He is majoring in history.

Providing a year of study in a French university, the Augustus Clifford Tower Fellowship has been awarded to Isaac Thomas, Jr., of Pottstown, Penna., and Lowell House. A music major, Thomas is a member of the Music Club and has been elected to Phi Beta Kappa.