Rusty Nine Faces Tough Bruin Club At Soldiers Field

Brown University's nine, leading the Eastern League despite Saturday's split doubleheader at Dartmouth, invades Soldiers Field today at 3:30 p.m. The Bruins will be the Crimson's fourth opponent and third in League competition.

After four days of inactivity, caused by rain-swept fields at Springfield and Amherst, the varsity prepared for its first home game with a light, intra-squad workout. The damp weather and forced idleness seemed to have slightly dulled the team's hitting. Stuffy McInnis' boys were, for the most part, popping pitches into the air; only first baseman Russ Johnson and catcher Charlie Walsh consistently smashed line drives.

Same Lineup

McInnis is worried about the effect of the layoff but will start the same lineup that earned a 6 to 6 tie with Boston University last Thursday. He hasn't picked his pitcher yet. Either lefty Rufe Webb, who shut out Army with five hits, or Jack Donelan, a right hander who has not pitched all year, may open on the mound.

The Bruin lineup is evenly sprinkled with left and righthanded hitters. The ninth man, pitcher Ken Moffat who beat Yale earlier this season, throws with his right hand. Only the fact that the Bruins' two big hitters, captain Bob MacConnell and catcher Lou Murgo, swing righty may persuade McInnis to give Donelan his first start.

Coach Lefty Lefebvre has a lot of good

material in Providence and he has been juggling his lineup all season. Brown has played eight games already, five more than the Crimson. Although Lefebvre's squad has dropped four contests three wins--two over Yale and one against Dartmouth on Saturday--have been enough to install the Bruins solidly on top of the Eastern League's northern division. Brown boasts a league record of three and one, while the varsity's one and one slate is the result of a twin bill at Army.

The lineup: Clasby, cf; Canepa, 2b; Maesaka, 3b; Akillian, if; Johnson, 1b; Robinson, rf; Krinsky, 60; Walsh, c; and Donelan or Webb, p