Carnegie Grants For G.E. to Bring 3 Scholars Here

Under a Carnegie Corporation visiting fellowship program, three scholars from other universities will teach in the College's General Education program next year, Provost Buck announced yesterday.

According to the Carnegie Corporation, the purpose of the fellowships is to promote the exchange of experience in developing General Education courses in other American colleges.

The three scholars will be: David Hawkins, professor of Philosophy at the University of Colorado: Francis A. Laine, assistant professor of Classical Civilization at the Women's College of the University of North Carolina; and Ellsworth Woods, associate professor of Political Sciences at Western Michigan College.

A Profitable Transfer

The annual report of the Corporation, upon which the program is based, affirms that no single institution is likely to have so good an undergraduate program "as to justify its universal adoption." But the group believes the system of internships which it proposes will make possible a "profitable transfer of experience from large institutions to colleges with small faculties and resources."

In addition to the College, the Corporation has set up its internship program at Chicago, Columbia, and Yale.

Each visiting professor is granted a year's leave of absence from his own college, and is expected to devote at least two-thirds of his time to studying the operation of the program in which he participates.