Getchell Denies Rumors About JV Basketball Team

The possibility of forming a junior varsity basketball squad was shrouded in mystery last night when Carroll F. Getchell, business manager of the Harvard Athletic Association, denied any plans to form such a team. Earlier reports had mentioned that one of the members of the present coaching staff would organize a J.V. team to play a schedule of ten games with opponents from Boston Y.M.C.A.'s and other college J.V. squads.

Getchell last night said-that no money had yet been set aside in the basketball budget to pay for any proposed J.V. team. Expenses for the team would probably include the cost of uniforms for the players and salaries for referrees of the games.

The main purpose for forming a Jayvee team would be to allow men who are not good enough to play with the varsity a chance to compete in organized intercollegiate competition. Such a program worked for many years before the war in basketball, and is currently being used by the football team. Players on the Jayvee squad often show well enough to be moved up to the varsity.

The probable size of a J.V. quintet would be about ten men, while the varsity would be cut to about 15 players instead of the 20 or more who worked out with the squad at different times this year. The Jayvees could also provide the varsity with needed scrimmages.

Other college J.V. teams in the Boston area which might schedule the Crimson include B.C., B.U., and Tufts. This year, the freshmen were scheduled to play the Terrier freshmen though the game was canceled at the last minute.