Conant Will Leave Shortly, To Return for Graduation

Hopes to Deliver Speech to Alumni

President Conant told the CRIMSON yesterday he expects to leave the University in a "few days" but plans to return in June for Commencement.

Conant said he has made tentative plans to leave his High Commission post in Bonn, Germany, for three or four days in June and fly back to award diplomas to this year's graduating classes. Developments in Germany this spring, however, may prevent his returning.

Alumni Address

On Commencement afternoon, he also hopes to deliver the President's report to the Alumni Association. This is one of several traditional speeches; the others are made by the recipients of honorary degrees.

Technically, Conant is President on leave of absence until September 1. Then his resignation will be effective and he will be President Emeritus.

Thus, even though Conant's successor will in all likelihood be selected before Commencement, Conant will still be President. His successor will be President Designate.

To Sign Diplomas

Conant, not the new President, will sign the diplomas for this year's Harvard and Radcliffe graduating classes.

The new German High Commissioner has spent his remaining few days in farewell conferences with Faculty members and associates. On Tuesday, he delivered a brief, final address to the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

The two senior members of the Faculty--Arthur N. Holcombe '06, Eaton Professor of the Science of Government, and Percy W. Bridgman, Higgins University Professor--presented a resolution praising Conant's 20 years of distinguished service as President.

Before he leaves for Germany, Conant expects to spend several days in Washington.