DEFENDS EXPENDITURES

The Mile

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

I wish to reply to what was an obvious allusion to me in a letter printed by you on Saturday, January 17. Although I did not campaign for the Vice-Presidency of the United States, I feel that an accounting of my budget during the Smoker campaign is in order.

I was the candidate who had printed cards made up with my picture on them, however the total expenses for my campaign amounted to $8.60, well within the limit set by the Student Council. If the disturbed student had only come to me instead of jumping to conclusions, I would have been glad to explain to him, as I did to many others, how I got the cards printed. A friend of mine know where he could get the engraving made for $1.50, apparently the normal price for such a small job if you go to a printer who can run it on with some other material of his own. If having a friend is a crime I plead guilty. The 'Crimson Press charged me $6.00 for the printing job with no extra charge for 3-day service. What the complainant does not seem to realize is that once a block of a print is made, it is a routine job to print any number of copies. The remaining $.90 was used to buy paint, cardboard, and a brush.

Thus, thanks to the reasonable price of the Crimson Press Co. and to my friend who knew where to get the job done, I abided by the letter and the spirit of the Student Council's ruling, as I have a receipt to prove.

I regret very much that the letter writer did not see fit to ask me what the facts of the case were before he wrote his letter. I feel sure that there then would have been no letter to write. James M. Fitzgibbons '56.