Workum Recalls Days As Editor, University Did Not 'Hoard' Coal

I do not know of any experience a Harvard undergraduate can acquire that is more tonic than active participation in the affairs of the CRIMSON. This statement was intended to apply to his extra-are fair grounds for arguing its extention to his entire college life.

In my own case, I believe it was true. The scope of the CRIMSON's interests was, is and will continue to be vast. Now, as then, the press is about to break down (only the generous father of G. C. Barclay '19 gave us a now one); new arrangements have to be made with the Printing Company (whether represented by Mac, or Ed, or Walter--all great persons and Yankee traders); ads must be abstained and accounts collected (and we did not have the competition by the radio for adversaries' budgets); a newspaper must be assembled and printed on time, and it must correct (I had the responsibility for an embarrassing headline, during a coal shortage, which reported that the University would "heard" coal, when it simply other word would seem to f(t); and that over fascinating and broadening editorial column has to be discussed, agreed upon and written (there is the Boston Police strike, or Harold J. Laski's comments on unpopular subjects, or President Lowell's stalwart defense of his faculty, or the aftermaths of two great wars, or U.M.T., or how to run a good College and serve good meals--cheaper).

Then, as now, the Crimson is a very great field! There is always room for improvement. But I have seen something of it in recent years, and I still like it. Fifield Workum '20   (Lawyer--Simpson, Thatches, and Bartlett)