Police Ticket Illegal Parking In Special Fall Crack-Down

University and Cambridge police yesterday announced a crackdown on illegal night parking. City Chief Patrick J. Ready said his Cambridge police will tag every car left on streets after 2 a.m.

Ready accused illegal parkers of creating a fire hazard and referred to last spring's Winthrop House blaze as an example. "The fire engines couldn't get within 50 yards of the place," he claimed. "Now if the boys defy the regulations they're going to be in real trouble. We've been lenient in the past and it was to the boys' advantage, but it must stop."

At the same time, Charles C. Pyne, assistant to the Administrative Vice-President, announced an October 9 deadline for registration of all student automobiles with the University police. After that date, owners of unregistered cars will be fined a maximum of $10.

For Own Protection

Pyne said registration is for the students' own protection. "First, it enables us to stop outsiders from using Harvard parking facilities. We only have limited space and we need it all. Secondly, when a University policeman sees a car is in danger of being towed away by the city police, he can trace the owner by the registration sticker and have him move it in time."

Although the Cambridge ticketing drive will center on Harvard. Ready insisted that students were not a special target for police ire. "We're not going to pick on boys because they're Harvard students," he stated. "We will fine anybody--student or citizen--who breaks the regulations."

Last spring the Cambridge city council defeated a bill to allow parking on one side of wide streets. This left the official Business School space as the only nighttime sanctuary for law-abiding autos. University police announced that despite unusually heavy registration, there is still room for about 50 cars on the Harvard lot.