Ceremonies May Be Off for Rink

Harvard's new hockey rink will probably be opened without dedication ceremonies.

Originally scheduled for christening a week from Saturday when the varsity football team plays Princeton, the rink will go into regular use without any formal meeting.

The main reason for the change in plans is the current warm weather, which, according to Athletic Association Business Manager Carroll F. Get chell, makes the cost of freezing ice too high.

"Right now the weather will make it too expensive for ice," Getchell said, referring to trouble which Andover Academy had found with its rink.

"General Skating"

"But we hope to have it open for general skating by the middle of November, probably around the 15th," he continued.

The Princeton Saturday, which was originally designated as the celebration day because of a meeting of Harvard alumni lettermen, falls on Nov. 7.

A meeting of those interested in dedicating the rink was scheduled about two weeks ago, but was called off.

The drive to put a roof on the rink, started this summer by Alexander H. Bright '19, was postponed for a year, and it is believed that administrators may want to dedicate the rink at the time the roof is put on.

No name has been picked for the new rink, which was begun this summer after the Corporation approved funds.

The necessity for an artificial ice rink for the University teams became evident last winter when the Boston Arena, the Crimson's former practice rink, was sold.