Famed Blood Specialist Dr. Edwin J. Cohn Dies

One of the world's foremost medical researchers on the components of human blood, Dr. Edwin J. Cohn, Higgins University Professor, died suddenly late Thursday night at the age of 60.

During a scientific career which spanned more than 30 years, Dr. Cohn aided in the development of liver extract for the treatment of pernicious anemia, serum albumin for use in cases of battlefield and accident shock, and several other medically important blood products. His work led directly to the recent discovery of gamma globulin as an immunizing agent against polio.

At the time of his death, Dr. Cohn was completing work on an automatic blood separating machine, considered a major advance in the preservation of blood plasma. He was also engaged in a study of the basic nature of proteins, aiming at an eventual understanding of their creation in nature.

Dr. Cohn was a leader in the planning and direction of blood collection and processing during World War II, serving on important committees of the Red Cross, the United States Public Health Service, and the National Research Council.

All of Dr. Cohn's research was carried on under University auspices. He joined the department of physical chemistry at the Medical School in 1920 and became head of the biological chemistry department in 1935. He also served as chairman of the Division of Medical Sciences within the faculty of Arts and Sciences and as Director of the University Laboratory of Physical Chemistry Related to Medicine and Public Health.