Winless Davidson Is 4-Touchdown Underdog

Wildeats Potentially Dangerous Despite Five Straight Losses

By Jack Rosenthal

About this time last year, it looked like an easy game. "It ought to be a breather," the CRIMSON said. It ought to be a breather, the bookies agreed, and they made the varsity a five-touchdown favorite. It ought to be a breather, concurred confident Cambridge fans, only 6500 of whom turned out for the contest.

But it was a contest, and Davidson's Wildcats almost defeated the favored Crimson, before finally bowing, 35-26.

This year, it again looks like as easy game. Davidson has dropped five straight, including one 53-to-0 loss to Georgia Tech. And the ace quarterback of last year's team, Jack Ruth is game, and with him the key half of the Wildeat passing attack.

This year, the bookies are favoring the Crimson by four touchdowns. And fans are just as confident as they were last season--ticket sales are going almost as slowly.

But once again, the Wildcats might prove dangerous.

For where last year's line was relatively inexperienced, three of the starters from that team are back this season, and two of the other starters have seen their share of offensive and defensive action.

The ends have been the only relatively weak spots in the line--neither starter caught a pass through the first four games of the season. The left end will be Jim Patterson, a sophomore, who saw varsity action last year, but whose nearest attempt to a pass completion was a pass interception.

Coach Bill Dole's right end will be a more experienced performer, Dan McCall, a 6-foot 2-inch senior who was shifted from quarterback at the beginning of the season, and is beginning to find himself.

Between the ends, however, the line is rugged. Dole can choose from three husky tackles--Captain Ben Craig and Alternate Captain Neil Graham, both two-year letter-winners, or chunky 195-pound Tom Owen, a sophomore, who saw a good deal of action last year, despite a bad ankle and who is credited with blocking four men on one play against Presbyterian.

Keeping up with the Davidson Davises will be a spectator as well as a varsity problem. Dole has three guards named Davis (as well as Jim Davis, an end), including Dickie Davis, a sturdy two-year letterman starter, who is in line for Phi Beta Kappa.

Also expected to see action are Harold and Gene Davis, both of whom played here last year. None of the Davis, by the way, is related to another.

The other starting guard will be junior Bob Patten, who stands only 5-7, but who weighs 190 pounds, and lettered last season.

At center, the Wildcats will start 22-year-old Bill Acker, who returned to the team this season after two years of Army service. Acker is an adequate offensive player; he is highly praised for his defensive work as a linebacker.

If the line picture, then, seems improved, the backfield is still as rugged as it was last year.

Ruth, of course, is gone via graduation, so passing is definitely not a Wildcat forte, even though polished Army returnee Bill Rowland is taking over at the pivot post. But the ground attack should continue to take up the slack.

Dole has a trio of shifty running backs teaming with Rowland. At right half, he will start Harley Smith, a sophomore transfer from the University of Alabama, who already leads the team in percentage rushing, with a 5.2 yard average for 14 carries.

At fullback, he will have 190-pound Leroy Fargason, who played first-string fullback last year, until he suffered a broken leg against the Crimson. Through the first four games this year, Fargason has plowed to 189 net yards on the ground.

Best of all, at left half, is a player Davidson describes as follows: "If any All-Southern and All-American gridder was ever produced at Davidson, Jimmy Thacker is the lad." On the basis of his play this season, Thacker is "the lad."

This year, the 172 net yards he collected in the first four games are second only to Fargason's. His 4.3 percentage per carry is next to Smith's. He has caught three passes for 73 yards, one for a touchdown, for a 24.1 reception average. He has punted eight time for 363 yards, and a fine 45.3 percentage. He has returned eight kickoffs for 237 yards, or an average of almost 30 yards per boot.

Then, whereas line replacements are scarce at Davidson, Dole has had several top-notch reserve backs. Such as Johnny Gray, 165-pound senior, who suffered a shoulder injury last year, but who set up the Wildcat's first touchdown in last season's Crimson game, with a 78-yard punt return.

Such as sophomore Bobby Renn, a good defensive back and kicker who compiled a 39-yard-per-kick average for 52 tries last season. Such as husky Jim Shelton, who was the individual star against Richmond, although he is only a sophomore.

The Wildcats, then, may upset both Crimson confidence and bookies' odds. They may not win, but they have the power to prove that, just as last year, the game won't be a breather.