University's Total Vet Enrollments Close to Estimate

Four hundred eighty-four veterans are studying in the various schools of the University under the Korean G.I. Bill (Public Law 550) this year. This number compares favorably with estimates made last January be Veterans Administration officials, despite smaller than expected veteran enrollments in the rest of the nation's schools.

A breakdown of the figures places 49 veterans in the College, 187 in the Business School, 152 in the Law School, 53 in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, and 43 in other departments. There are, in addition to these, approximately 500 veterans studying under the World War II G.I. Bill (Public Law 346).

A review of the federal budget for fiscal year 1954 noted that, while Korean veterans were participating in benefits in increasing numbers, the rise was not as large as contemplated in January. At that time, $620 million had been allocated for veterans' benefits, but that figure has now been revised to $356 million in accordance with more realistic estimates of veteran enrollments.

It is now estimated that only 200,000 of the slightly more than two million persons in civil life who had seen military service since the outbreak of the Korean war have begun to take advantage their benefits; and, while there are no figures on what proportion of the 200,000 are eligible for benefits under the World War I Bill.