Lacrosse Team Asks Alumni Aid To Finance Winter Bermuda Trip

Hopes for the lacrosse team's Bermuda trip soared last night when manager William C. B. Young '55 announced that requests for funds will be sent by letter to alumni who played lacrosse while in the College.

According to Young, Dean Watson has given official sanction to the plan. Alumni will be asked to make their checks payable to the University and will thus be able to deduct their gifts from income tax statements.

Volunteers from the squad will begin work tomorrow, getting names and addresses of former players from the H.A.A. files. The letter, not yet drawn up, will have to pass Dean's Office inspection, and will probably go out sometime this week.

Young made the announcement before approximately 40 varsity and freshman players gathered in the Varsity Club. At the same time he estimated total cost for the trip at $3,000-$3,500 for a 25-man squad. Young and Coach Bruce Munro have been checking all possible means of cutting the cost of the trip which was originally estimated at a minimum of $150 per man.

Plans for the trip were disclosed at a similar meeting on Oct. 14. The soccer and golf teams, as well as the lacrosse team, were invited to accompany. Yale squads on the Island trip. Since then, the golf and soccer teams have shown considerably less enthusiasm, and it is possible that the lacrosse squad will be the only Crimson team going.

The squad would leave from New York on Dec. 26 and return on January 4. In Bermuda it will play exhibition matches with the Yale squad, according to plans drawn up by Yale's assistant director of athletics, William Harkness.