Student Council Decides to Keep Financial Awards

After a brief discussion, the Student Council last night voted to continue awarding its controversial Council scholarships as it has been doing in the past.

F. Harvey Popell '54 declared that any criticism of the awards was unfounded. He said that the misunderstandings were probably due to a lack of information on the part of the critics. "For every one of two students who get small awards without a real need, there are 20 who get money and are in desperate need of our help."

"The purpose of the scholarship fund is to give small amounts of money to boys who are in dire need. Many of the people who come to see us don't know where the next ten or 20 dollars is coming from."

Robert I. Goldman '54 suggested that the Council's $1600 scholarship fund be divided into several large scholarships and be given to deserving undergraduates who had failed to get needed help from the Financial Aid Center.

In answer to this, Popell said that helping many students with small amounts when they need it most was the "one really tangible thing the Council does.

Earlier in the meeting the Council voted to continue granting appointed members a full vote on all decisions.

Pointing out that appointees have been extremely helpful in the past, Council member John W. Stokes '54 remarked, "You'll lose the value of these people if you don't let them discuss and vote."