Economics Tutors Begin Oral Test Plan for Juniors

Every junior concentrating in economics must take an oral examination in the spring term, the Economics Department announced this week. Beginning with the Class of 1955, undergraduates will be tested on their junior tutorial work. The orals will be required of both honors and non-honors majors.

Ayers Brinser, Senior Tutor of the Economics Department, said that the plan is designed to make tutorial count toward a degree. The orals will be administered by the student's tutor and two other tutors from the House. Brinser emphasized that the plan should bring the educational function of the Department more firmly into the House system.

Tests May Affect Honor Status

The tests will provide an opportunity for the non-honors candidate to switch to honors concentration if he does well in the examination. Brinser added, however, that if honors candidates should fail the test, it could affect their honors status in the department.

The tests will be individually given and will last about half an hour. Brinser expects them to begin about April and run through to the end of the year. Administered at the House level, the tests will take about ten hours total in each House.

The Economics Department, Brinser added, does not want to destroy the "informal give-and-take of tutorials," or, by giving the test, prescribe the course of study in tutorials. Since the plan was discussed in each of the eight Senior Common Rooms, all Departments in the College are considering it. "Some men in other fields are interested, some are skeptical," Brinser said. "We think the plan will be successful."