Tax Bill in House May Exempt All College Expenses

Representative Abraham Multer of New York said yesterday that his bill calling for tax exemptions on money spent for student educational expenses should have no trouble passing the House once it gets past the Ways and Means Committee.

"It won't go through until the next session of Congress in January, and then it'll be incorporated in a large comprehensive tax bill," Multer said.

"But the bill was favorably received in open session, and we've had favorable comment on it from people. It may be changed around a little in the committee meetings, but it shouldn't have any trouble outside," Multer added.

Last week the Harvard Council of the National Scholastic Association announced it's support of the bill.

NSA Statement

Although parents currently spend approximately $2000 a year on any son or daughter they send to college, they receive an exemption of only $600 on their income tax. The Multer bill would exempt them from the total amount they spend. If the student were self supporting, he would have the exemption on his own income tax.

When he announced the NSA stand, Clifford L. Alexander '55 called for students to show their interest, although cautioning them against organized movements. "We don't want organized lobbying, with mimeographed postcards and artificial lists of names. The bill should be judged on its merits without insincere backing by people who will benefit from its passage," he said.