Coaches, Writers Pick Clasby for All-Eastern Team

Dick Clasby, Crimson football captain, was the only member of his team named by coaches and sportswriters to the all-East eleven. No college placed more than one man on the starting team.

Jeff Coolidge, who received the Frederick Greeley Crocker award as the most valuable player on the varsity, was picked is center the second all-East team, while Crimson sophomore guard Bill Meigs won honorable mention.

Yale guard Dick Polish, Colgate's passing quarterback Dick Lajla, and fullback Homer Smith of Princeton were the only men who faced the Crimson named to the squad. Tackle Jack Shanafelt of Pennsylvania and guard Stan Tsapis of Cornell brought to six the total number of Ivy Group players on the starting all-East team.

Holy Cross captain and end Hank Elmira is the only other local player named to the starting eleven. End Jack Garrity from Penn State, Navy tackle Jack Perkins, center Ted Kukowski of Syracuse, and Bob Epps, Pittsburgh back, fill out the team.

Dave McLaughlin, Dartmouth end, and back Joe Varaitis of Pennsylvania are the only Ivy men besides Coolidge on the second team.

John Culver, driving Crimson fullback, did not receive any mention.

Holy Cross tackle Mike Cooney and back Dick Zotti of Boston College were on the all-East second team. Army was the only school to place two men--tackle Bob Farris and back Pete Vann--on this eleven, but it had none on the first team.