Junior Year Away Gets Boost From Language Dept.

If the Faculty of Arts and Sciences approves a plan for Junior Year Abroad, the Romance Languages Department will permit students who have passed a "Dab" language course or its equivalent, with a B, to study away.

This is the first departmental action upon the proposals of the Student Council, which is attempting to formulate a plan for a junior year of study abroad. The committee is headed by John W. Stokes '54.

The Romance Language department also approved a motion which might give juniors credit for improvement in language proficiency while away.

This does not apply to Romance Language concentrators.

Special Examinations

"Since the Department feels that in most cases of the junior year abroad,, one year's study would provide the student with additional training in the foreign language, the Department is will in to administer a special examination for junior students returning from a year abroad in Italy, a French-speaking country and wishing to get one Harvard credit for work done in either of the three languages.

"Since the applicants for such an examination will have to be handled individually, no uniform type of examination can be devised at present," the motion said.

Stokes is currently sounding out faculty opinion on the proposal and eventually bringing the plan before the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.