Crimson Harriers Take 3rd Place In Heptagonal Meet at New York

Crimson cross-country runners pulled a minor upset yesterday by racing to a strong third place behind Cornell and Army in the 15th Annual Heptagonals at Van Courtland Park in New York City.

Favored Cornell's 53 points proved the experts were right on at least one count, but Army's second place 60 and the Crimson's 62 were real surprises. Yale, expected to give Cornell a close fight for first place, finished a relatively distant fourth with 84.

Captain Hal Gerry and sophomore Don French took second and third for the Crimson. Gerry made a real race of it with Cornell's John Rosenbaum, sprinting the last 880 yards, but the Ithacan ace was just a half second better, with a 27 minute, 1 second finish to Gerry's 27:1.5. French's 27:23. third place time was another big reason for the Crimson's unexpected showing.

Hubie Maguire, Frank Nahigian and Emil San Soucie ran 18th, 19th and 20th for the Crimson respectively, with Bill Engs' and Paul Beck taking 22nd and 47th.

Trailing fourth place Yale were Navy, Dartmouth, Columbia, Penn, Brown, and Princeton, in that order.